Helsinki (December 1-3)

I left Kuopio on 1 December and headed by train down to Helsinki. My two sons (Robert and William) and my wife Melanie arrived on 2 December. Melanie had been to Finland several times before including earlier this year when we toured the country using a rental car. However, my sons had never been to Europe before so this was a new experience for both of them. We stayed at one of the hotels near the West Harbor terminal  since we were heading to Tallinn in a few days.

We visited several of the local landmarks including the Oodi, cathedrals, and the Christmas markets.

Prior to the trip we asked the boys (I’m using this term rather loosely these days) if there was anything they wanted to visit while we were in Helsinki. Both boys indicated they wanted to visit the Helsinki zoo – which was also new for Melanie and I. The boys were especially interested in seeing a wolverine for the first time (they did). Both boys have volunteered at Carolina Tiger Rescue here in North Carolina which rehabilitates and provides a permanent home for several species of large cats and other carnivores. Seeing large cats is therefore a highlight of any trip.

We treated the boys to reindeer at the Lappi Ravintola – both boys enjoyed the meal. The short time spent in Helsinki also allowed everyone to adapt to the change in time zone and climate. They went from around 12C and sunny to about -5C.